Pages

Monday 2 August 2010

Marniated prawns with hot spicy tomato salsa


Prawns are something I always tend to have in the freezer. I go a little OTT every time I see a special offer on raw king prawns and end up buying 4 or more bags. This means I've always got the ingredients to treat myself to something prawn-based and delicious. I think it's important to use raw prawns (fresh or frozen), as using ready cooked prawns makes it so much easier to accidentally overcook them and end up with rubbery bullets of prawn. I also like watching them turn pink from grey. It's like magic.

Tinned tomatoes are the other thing I always have at home in excess. I probably eat tomato based meals 5 or 6 days a week. My tomato to other food ratio is always a little odd to other people's tastes so if you have a go at making this a little blob of the hot tomato salsa is probably enough for most people. I like to have half a plate so once I've piled it high on to each mouthful of prawn I can mop up the rest with fresh crunchy bread.

Marinated Prawns

Ingredients
Raw prawns
Fresh chillis
Lemon or lime juice
Garlic
Soy Sauce

How to...
1. Mix finely chopped or crushed garlic with finely chopped chillis, the juice of a lemon or lime and a generous swig of soy sauce.
2. Mix in raw prawns
3. Cover and leave in the fridge for a couple of hours.
4. Heat up a pan.
5. Cook prawns for a couple of minutes until pink. Be careful not to overcook.



Hot Spicy Tomato Salsa

Ingredients
Half an onion
Clove of garlic
Tin of high quality chopped tomatoes
As many chillis as you fancy
Salt
Olive oil

How to...
1. Finely chop onion, garlic and chillis.
2. Cook onion in olive oil until soft and translucent.
3. Add garlic and chillis and cook for another 2 minutes.
4. Add chopped tomatoes and salt.
5. Cook for 20ish minutes, or until the salsa is thick, rich and tasty.


Today whilst cooking I was listening to: Handle Me by Robyn

No comments:

Post a Comment