Pages

Wednesday 11 May 2011

Vietnamese Beef Pho

I get a bit worried when claiming to cook something from a country that I've never even visited, so before I offend anyone with any authenticities I thought I'd come clean. So this may (or may not) be authentic, but regardless it's pretty scrummy. As well as being delicious it's really quick to cook and is one of those soup that even goes down well on a hot summers day.

If I don't have rice noodles I either have it without noodles, with egg noodles or sometimes even put some leftover cooked rice in it.

Ingredients (Serves 4-6 in little bowls as a starter or 2 as a main meal)
2 sirloin steaks
3 shallots
5 cloves of garlic
2" of ginger
2 chillies
2 pints beef stock
1 portion of rice noodles
1 lime
Fish sauce
2 spring onions
Basil
Coriander
Vegetable oil
How to...
1. Finely chop garlic, shallots, ginger and chillies.
2. Finely slice steak and lie over the bottom of a bowl in a single layer. When the hot broth is poured over this later it will cook the beef through perfectly.

3. Fry shallots, garlic, ginger and chillies in a splash of vegetable oil until they are soft and fragrant. Be careful not to burn it!
4. Pour in 2 pints of beef stock. Ideally use fresh but in all honesty I use stock cubes most of the time.
5. Squeeze in the juice of a lime and add a splash of fish sauce (not too much as you don't want it too salty).
6. Cook noodles according to instructions on packet. Split between bowls.
7. Pour hot broth into bowls over beef and noodles.
8. Garnish with finely sliced spring onion, coriander and basil.

Whilst cooking I was listening to... Come Away With Me by Norah Jones.

No comments:

Post a Comment