The trimmings don't look as attractive as nice slices, but when you're just cooking for yourself does it really matter? To be honest I quite often mix the trimmings with cream cheese and use them in sandwiches and on bagels with freshly cracked black pepper. I must get through a packet a week... but at less than £1 a packet, which is enough for 2 meals, that's pretty bargaintastic.
Ingredients (serves 2)
2 servings of pasta
1 packet of smoked salmon trimmings
2 big dollops of cream cheese
Clove of garlic
Half an onion
Little drop of olive oil
1. Cook pasta according to packet instructions
2. Slice onion and fry in a pan with a drop of olive oil until the onion is soft.
4. Add garlic and mushrooms to pan, cook for 5-10 or so minutes until the mushrooms begin to get soft and the garlic is fragrant.
5. Stir in 2 generous dollops of cream cheese and the packet of smoked salmon trimmings. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Finish with a handful of freshly chopped parsley. (To keep herbs you can freeze them into ice cubes and use them in cooking later.)
7. Stir in the pasta and split into two bowls. Enjoy!
Whilst cooking I was listening to... A-team by Ed Sheeran